Monday, April 26, 2010

Remembering fifteen.


I think of her poster: butterfly-like

patches in pastel colours, the heads

of The Cure emerging from black.

Her nimbleness rising in my fingers,

twenty-one years later for no reason


other than I caught today

some similar smell, of cold dust

on grass matting, of her

bare shoulders freshly showered,

of the underside of a new clean pillow,

of the short black hair on the back of her head

where she had had it shaved a month ago –

such a mod, all blacks and purples

and yellow stitched Docs.


Winnie Reds at the end

of platform 2, out of the rain,

and her blue school bag black texta-ed with the names

of bands, symbols.


She wore my grey school jumper in front of her friends

and wrote

an Anarchy sign in blue biro on my wrist,

the first girl I kissed

bought hip flasks of vodka.


And the silver train at night,

swaying to the city;

her legs in black stockings,

her feet crossed confidently on the seats, she's smiling

and her green eyes

right at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment